The Bulldog Bulletin

Foreign Language Week

Olivia E. and Kristine Y.

Bonjour! Hola! Ciao! 你好! Olá! 안녕하세요! All of these words were heard around the school last week during Foreign Language Week.  Foreign Language Week celebrates all the different languages spoken around the world.  Lawrence School took part in celebrating this week by having special morning announcements and also focusing on it during foreign language classes (French, Spanish and Exploratory Language).

We talked to Monsieur/Señor Priest, one of the foreign language teachers here who teaches French, Spanish and Exploratory Language.  Mr. Priest speaks 3 languages fluently: French, Spanish and English.

During his French classes, he has been taking some time to talk about his favorite quotes having to do with language/travel. Mr. Priest’s favorite travel quote is, “The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page,” by St. Augustine.

The Czech proverb, “Those who know many languages live as many lives as the languages they know,” is his favorite quote about language. In his classes, he has been teaching that having the knowledge of foreign languages can also improve your English. “It [foreign languages] helps us to look at our own language in a different way,” he told the Bulldog Bulletin when we interviewed him.

Traveling to different countries is exciting, especially if you know the local language.  Mr. Priest loves to visit different places as a traveller, but not as a tourist. His favorite part is “meeting people. Interacting with the people and being part of the culture.”

During the whole week, there were special announcements every morning, focusing on the activities and festivities of the week.  On most of the days, there were one or two quotes read to the school, focusing on foreign language and travel.  On Tuesday, Mr. Priest’s 6th period French Class recited the Pledge of Allegiance in French.

On Thursday, the same class sang the upbeat song “Est-ce Que Tu Veux?”  On Friday, after the Pledge of Allegiance was recited in Spanish, all of the Spanish teachers joined forces, and sang a crazy Spanish song.  Also on Friday, there was a language contest each homeroom participated in, to end Foreign Language Week. Each homeroom received a slip of paper with eight lines and eight languages. The languages were German, Mandarin, Russian, Ukrainian, Portuguese, Korean, Hebrew, and Gujarati. Some of the students at Lawrence who speak another language fluently, spoke a sentence or two over the announcements in a foreign language. Seven homerooms completed the challenge correctly. They randomly selected a homeroom as a winner.  Ms. Galligan’s seventh grade homeroom was chosen as the winner.  

So after a successful Foreign Language Week, students learned a lot about about their foreign language teachers, and about the language they were learning.  Au revoir!  Adiós!  Addio!  再见!  Tchau!  안녕!

About the Writers
Olivia E., Team 2 Reporter
My favorite sport is DANCE.  I dance 4 days, 8 hours a week in Boston at the Boston Ballet School, and yes, I drive there 4 days a week at the least.  I take ballet, modern, and character classes.  I’ve been dancing since I was 2 years old, but this is only my second year...
Kristine Y., Team 2 Reporter
I have been playing violin for almost eight years. I have also played piano and clarinet for several years. Alongside music, I have been playing soccer since I was four. As much as I love to play soccer, I also play tennis year round. I am an avid skier and I love to ski black...