The Bulldog Bulletin

Sonnay Fiddlers Entertain All

Nya F., Reporter

“Sonnay concerts are very uplifting, so I definitely recommend attending a performance,” said Mrs. Kelly.  Not only is she the music teacher of Morse Pond School, she is also a member of the Sonnay fiddlers. The Sonnay fiddlers are a group of violinists, from really young, to very old. After all, Sonnay stands for “students of Nikki, not all young.”

On October 1, The Sonnay fiddlers got together for Mashpee’s Oktoberfest to perform their favorite songs. The Mashpee Oktoberfest was held behind the Mashpee Public Library. The Oktoberfest held shops, food vendors, games, activities, and of course music, like the Sonnay fiddler’s concert.

The group did well according to two of it’s members, Mrs. Kelly and Kyra C. Kyra stated, “Yes, I think we did a good job on the performance,” while Mrs. Kelly said it was an “average performance by the group. Competing with the noise level of generators, a train, and a large crowed proved to be challenge for me,” said the music teacher.

The fiddlers usually perform their best celtic songs, like “King of the Fairies,” “Spootiskerry,” and also some songs for the little kids, like “Twinkle Twinkle.” The fiddlers perform songs from intense, complex songs to simple tunes for the tiny kids. “I know the audience enjoys seeing the little kids with their tiny violins!” said Mrs. Kelly.

These experienced fiddlers don’t only perform at the Oktoberfest. The Sonnay fiddlers also perform at plenty other places and events. A favorite of players and audience members alike is the Heritage Gardens Christmas Concert in Sandwich. “My favorite concert is the Heritage Gardens one because it is a fun place for a performance, and afterward you can walk around Heritage Gardens for hours!” says Heather Furey, a regular audience member and parent of a performer. Her statement was agreed upon by Mrs. Kelly and Kyra C.

Everyone from the Sonnay’s members to audience members suggest that if you love music and fun events to go to the next concert, where you can listen to quality fiddle music and probably grab something to eat or do. “You won’t be disappointed!” said Heather, Kyra, and Mrs. Kelly.

If you’re interested in seeing the Sonnay Fiddlers, their fan favorite concert is the Heritage Gardens Christmas Concert in December.

German, maple Violin.JPG by Pianoplonkers via commons.wikimedia.org is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

About the Writer