The student news site of Lawrence Junior High School

The Bulldog Bulletin

• June 26Happy Summer, Lawrence!

• June 19Congratulations to Roll of Honor Recipients Lily C. and Trevor H.!

Fallen Book Review

WARNING: Spoiler Hints Ahead

Kaleigh R., reporter

Fallen by Lauren Kate is a 366-paged, slow paced, fantasy novel about fallen angels. Banished from the war between angels and devils, they are sentenced to spend their eternity on Earth. Daniel is a rebel angel:  the reason why the others are on Earth. He didn’t think a war between good and evil was worth fighting for, so instead he fought for love.

Cursed by Lucifer, Daniel can never be with the person he loves. If he ever shows any kindness to her, the shadows will take her away from him, never to be seen again. They always find each other, but she always ends up six feet below him in a tall, rectangular box. 17 years after she dies, she is reborn with the same looks and soul, but a different name. But there is one catch: she always loses her memory and remembers nothing of Daniel or her past lives. Daniel is eternally young, and always remembers exactly what had happened last time she saw him.

The latest version of Daniel’s original lover is Lucinda Price. Luce is a 17 year old girl with a kind heart and a strange spirit. Daniel always gives in and learns to love her again, even if he knows how the story ends. Though this time, he is absolutely determined to stay away and doesn’t mind making her feel stupid and unwanted as long as it’s for her own good.

This story had many unsuspecting twists and turns. The pace of the story was extremely slow and the lightning quick change of pace in the end is hard to adjust to. Not much happened in the first 250 pages. At times, the characters can be dull and frustrating, much like any normal teenager. An example of this is when Luce never seems to makeup her mind. First she likes Cam, then she falls in love with Daniel. IN ONLY 3 DAYS!

Though this book didn’t live up to my expectations, it was an all around ok book, but definitely wouldn’t be my first choice. And it definitely wasn’t one of the books that you can re-read and never get tired of.  In fact, I have only read it one time and am already tired of it. I would recommend this book if you needed to pass the time by, but it wouldn’t be my first choice. This book is well suited for children 12 and up (For language and the hard-to-follow plot).

Rating – 2 ½ stars out of 5 stars.

Book Image