The student news site of Lawrence Junior High School

The Bulldog Bulletin

• June 26Happy Summer, Lawrence!

• June 19Congratulations to Roll of Honor Recipients Lily C. and Trevor H.!

It’s Ice Cream Time at Sweet Caroline’s

Ella A., Reporter

Sweet Caroline’s is a relatively small ice cream place in Forestdale (Sandwich), MA that serves delicious ice cream at a fair price, and it serves over 40 flavors of ice cream (43 to be exact)!

This place at 177 Route 130 is usually open from 12 o’clock noon to 9 P.M., and opened in 2009. The prices of the ice cream there are really cheap. Hard serve ice cream prices range from $3.23 (kiddie) to $4.60 (large), which is unusually cheap for an ice cream place.  It’s $2.90-$3.27 for soft serve ice cream.

The ice cream that Sweet Caroline’s sells tastes really good, and everything from the fruity Raspberry Lime Ricky to the frosty ice cream there tastes good.  Sweet Caroline’s uses only the freshest of ingredients to put on their ice cream, and their freshly made whipped cream tastes delicious.  Sweet Caroline’s serves generous portions, and a large size is three HUGE scoops of their super creamy ice cream.

This place also has specials! There are 16 in all, and it’s kind of nice to have a place that not only sells ice cream, but sells other things as well. This little ice cream place was named in honor of their daughter Caroline who was turning sixteen at that time, and the milk that is used to make the ice cream is from a 300- year old dairy farm in Boston.

Sweet Caroline’s has beautiful gardens, and the landscaping there is great. The vibrant shades of pink, and white colored flowers that cover the place, and the dark green colored grass add to the beauty of the place, and the feeling of peacefulness you get when you go to have a frozen treat. Every time I go there I get a peaceful, yet cheerful feeling. The calming music playing in the background really makes it a pleasure coming to visit this place.

There are many positives about this place. For instance, they have a variety of things to choose from in the menu. Compared to other places, their prices are really good. When I went to another ice cream place, three smalls and a medium cost over $20! Why go to a place where you get things for a more expensive price, when you could go to another place and get ice cream for half the cost, and of the same quality? Not only that but, this place is wheelchair accessible and they allow bike parking for those who want a frosty treat while biking.

The friendly staff makes you feel welcome by greeting you with a nice hello and with a grin when you are up ordering food. The colorful building is also easy to find, and because it’s not in the middle of nowhere that helps too.  While enjoying an ice cream,  you could visit Heritage Museums and Gardens, Circus Smirkus, Cape Cod Challenge Cup, and Heritage Movie Theatre, just to name a few.  According to Yelp, google, and Tripadvisor it’s rated 4-4.6 stars which is a really good rating for an icecream shop.

Although this place has a lot of good things about it, there are a few bad things about it too. In the summer, it gets really crowded sometimes, and even the pretty big parking space gets hard to fit everyone in. This place is always busy when in season, so be prepared to wait! If you don’t like to wait a long time, then I suggest that you shouldn’t come during the busy time. They have one window to order, and another to pick things up from, and this can be confusing to people at times. They don’t have any wi-fi, which can be bad for those who like to use apps on their phones that need it. There is also a toilet there, but it’s a portable toilet, which some people may think is untasteful. The prices of the shirts in the shop is also expensive (to me) and can range from $17.50 to $49.50, which is pretty expensive for a shirt. The last thing that’s negative about this place is that it only accepts cash. This may be a problem to those who like to use credit cards, but there’s an ATM there if you don’t have any cash on  you.

Overall, I would rate it 4 stars. I think the beautiful landscaping there make sitting outside a pleasant experience, and the quality of their ice cream and service is excellent. Although I don’t really approve on the cash only thing, I enjoy going to Sweet Caroline’s, and I recommend it to people who want to have a relaxing, and fun time, while enjoying their ice cream.