The student news site of Lawrence Junior High School

The Bulldog Bulletin

• June 26Happy Summer, Lawrence!

• June 19Congratulations to Roll of Honor Recipients Lily C. and Trevor H.!

Dear Evan Hansen REVIEW

Skyler F., Reporter

A letter that was never meant to be seen, a lie that was never meant to be told, a life he never dreamed he could have. Evan Hansen is about to get the one thing he’s always wanted: a chance to fit in. For all of you Broadway lovers out there, here’s something new! The new musical Dear Evan Hansen, starring actor Ben Platt, known for his role as Benji in Pitch Perfect 1 and 2 has hit the top of the Broadway charts.

The musical tells the phenomenal story of a boy trying to fit in and be who he really is., while struggling to protect the legacy of the one person that understood him, and all the while, having a project of his creation go viral on the internet. The musical goes deep into the lives teenagers are living today, with hints here and there of a few essential perspectives.

The Conner Project is the project the main character, Evan Hansen, creates for his friend. He and another girl, the brother of the infamous Conner, strive to keep Conner’s past situation relevant, and raise awareness to the cause. Teen drug use and suicide.  

The Conner Project and the entire musical have touched the hearts of many not just in the country, but around the world. “A powerful anthem. Dear Evan Hansen is an emotionally-charged phenomenon that has taken Broadway by storm.” – ABC “Nightline” more and more people are coming to realize how monumental this musical is, with its powerful message, comedic scenes, and outstanding soundtrack. The New York Times calls it, “a gorgeous new musical for anyone with a beating heart.”

One of the most amazing things about this musical, is well, the music. It provides a mix of humor, self motivation, and a feeling of truly understanding what people will do for their loved ones, and that anybody can make a change. Sophie C. from team 3 says, ‘The soundtrack is great. It is inspirational in many ways.”

The songs in the musical include “Waving Through a Window”, which is their most well known song, “For Forever,” which will instantly put you to tears, “Sincerely Me”, which gives the audience a good laugh, “Requiem”, which adds an additional perspective, and so many more.

This musical is perfect for anybody, and seeing it will not be a mistake. Seventh grader Isabella M. says, “It is a fun musical that everybody should go to.” The musical has been recognized for its amazingness, and was nominated for 11 Tony Awards, winning 6. Nobody should miss out this musical, and get your tickets quickly, because it sells out in a matter of minutes, for obvious reasons.

Dear Evan Hansen image