The student news site of Lawrence Junior High School

The Bulldog Bulletin

• June 26Happy Summer, Lawrence!

• June 19Congratulations to Roll of Honor Recipients Lily C. and Trevor H.!

Everything Everything Book Review

Cate C., Reporter

The book Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon, has been sweeping the nation and wowing all readers who pick up the book. Loved by some, disliked by others, the book tells a story of a teenage girl, Madeline, who’s allergic to the world, which means no normal teenage life.

Then one day everything changes, a boy, Ollie, moves in next door with his abusive family, and the two kids immediately start to get feelings. They learn more and more about each other, through the walls of their home, but Maddy needs more, she needs to feel free. So she takes things into her own hands, takes things out of her house, and far away, just her and Ollie. The risk is high, but her need to be free is even higher. This book will take you on a romantic, action packed ride, leaving you on the edge of your chair till the very end. This was overall a great book and I would recommend this to anyone who loves action and romance.

According to  Book Review Website on Everything Everything, this book was published September 1st 2015 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers at 310 pages long. Adults believe this book is appropriate for ages 15+, where as kids believe its for kids 13+. This novel takes place in Los Angeles, California and Maui, Hawaii with the main characters Madeline “Maddy” Furukawa Whittier, Oliver “Olly” Bright, Pauline Furukawa Whittier and Carla Flores. This book is not part of a series but the author Nicola Yoon does have a few other books.

This Young Adult book has won a numerous amount of awards, such as Pennsylvania Young Reader’s’ Choice Award Nominee for Young Adults (2017), Soaring Eagle Book Award (2016) and many more. These awards came for a good reason, for many people have their opinions for the message throughout the book. According to Common Sense Media’s Review on Everything Everything, people believe is that the book shows you that taking risks can be a good thing in life, like when Maddy went to Hawaii, she learned more about herself, like her fun spunky side, and got to be free for a while.

Although this book was gripping till the end, there are some negatives. For one, the beginning of the book was a little slow, like most books, and I almost put it down, but if you keep reading, a beautiful story will come, and make a never-read-a-book-twice person want to read this again.

Seventh grader Faith E. said the book was funny but serious and gave it a 4.5/5 rating. I would give this a 4.75, because I love the idea of the book, and the plot twists make it a very interesting read.